Tulsi Gabbard on India
- Tulsi is a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and has met with leaders of India to promote trade, tourism and information technology, as well as defense and counter terrorism
- Tulsi has worked diligently to promote U.S., Hawai’i interests in meetings with India, creating a historic sister state relationship between Goa, India and Hawaii
- During her trip to India, Tulsi had a number of important and productive meetings:
- Met separately with India’s Minister of Finance Arun Jaitley (footage from ANI Report), Minister of Defense Manohar Parrikar, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, and Minister of External Affairs (Secretary of State), Sushma Swaraj, to discuss the challenges facing the international community with the aim of improving cooperation between the U.S. and India, particularly in the areas of commerce, security, and defense.
- Met with General Dalbir Singh, Chief of the Indian Army (COAS). Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, a Captain in the Hawaiʻi Army National Guard, discussed with Singh the need for the U.S. and India to increase collaboration in the fight against terrorists and the importance of partner-building military-to-military engagements between the U.S. Pacific Command and the Indian military.
- Met with India’s Minister for Tourism, Mahesh Chandra Sharma, to discuss strengthening tourism and cultural exchange opportunities between the U.S. and India.
- Met with Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of State (IC) of Commerce and Industry, to discuss ideas to increase commerce between India and the U.S. and minimize barriers to greater foreign investment.
- Met with Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar and Governor Mridula Sinha to discuss establishing a “sister state” relationship between Hawaiʻi and Goa, India’s most popular beach tourism destination, with the aim of increasing economic and cultural exchanges between Goa and Hawaiʻi, as well as promoting tourism.
- Delivered keynote address to the prestigious India Ideas Conclave (video footage available here), stressing the importance of having leaders who embrace the aloha spirit and work for the welfare of others as servant leaders. The conclave is known as India’s most eclectic and thought-provoking platform for global leaders and experts to discuss ideas in various fields of human development.
- Met with several prominent figures in the India film industry to encourage increased cross-collaboration between those in the film industry in India and in Hawaiʻi.
- As part of her diplomatic work, Tulsi also met with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Their meeting focused on enhanced cooperation in the fight against terrorism, working together to protect the environment, and maximizing economic opportunities between the two countries
- Tulsi’s meeting with Modi was part of her Congressional responsibilities as a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Tulsi follows the spirit of Aloha which means that she is open to understanding the viewpoints of diverse leaders. Prime Minister Modi is a democratically elected leader of the world's largest democracy. India is an important regional military and economic power.
- Tulsi voted NO on H. Res 417, which both Rep. Tulsi Gabbard and Rep. Brad Sherman felt was timed to attempt to influence India’s upcoming election
- H.R. 392: Tulsi co-sponsored the Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act, which would remove the existing per-country cap on employment-based green cards and ensure all immigrants are treated equally regardless of their country of origin.
- “Tulsi wraps up weeks of productive meetings in India to promote U.S., Hawai’i interests” https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/photos-video-rep-tulsi-gabbard-wraps-weeks-productive-meetings-india-promote-us
- Tulsi leads historic sister-state partnership between Hawai’i and Goa, India, creating “opportunities for mutual cultural, economic, political, and educational cooperation” https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/photos-rep-tulsi-gabbard-leads-historic-sister-state-partnership-between-hawai-i
- “Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Supports U.S.-India Relations in Her Opposition to H.Res. 417” https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/rep-tulsi-gabbard-supports-us-india-relations-her-opposition-hres-417
- “Prime Minister Modi Address to Congress is Opportunity to Strengthen U.S.-India Ties” https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/rep-tulsi-gabbard-prime-minister-modi-address-congress-opportunity-strengthen-us
- “Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Statement on Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's U.S. Visit”
- “Rep Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Resolution on International Yoga Day” https://gabbard.house.gov/rep-tulsi-gabbard-introduces-resolution-international-yoga-day
- Video: Tulsi’s International Yoga Day Resolution Speech: https://youtu.be/NOWwYWJE2Bg
3rd Party Links
- Hindu American Foundation: “US Congressmen Question ‘Hidden Agenda’ at Hearing on India” https://www.hafsite.org/whats-new/us-congressmen-question-%E2%80%9Chidden-agenda%E2%80%9D-hearing-india
- “Tulsi Gabbard introduces resolution in US Congress to celebrate International Yoga Day” https://www.financialexpress.com/world-news/tulsi-gabbard-introduces-resolution-in-us-congress-to-celebrate-international-yoga-day/733016/
- Hawaii/Goa Sister State: https://www.indiaabroad.com/india/tulsi-gabbard-says-hawaii-and-goa-to-have-sister-state
- Maui News: “Hawai’i and Goa, India Enter Sister State Relationship” https://mauinow.com/2018/10/01/hawaii-and-goa-india-enter-sister-state-relationship
- “Hawai‘i & Goa, India Sign Agreement to Enter Into Sister-State Relationship” http://bigislandnow.com/2018/09/28/hawaii-goa-india-sign-agreement-to-enter-into-sister-state-relationship/